How to use LINE Pay card
You can only use your LINE Pay card to make one-time payments. LINE Pay cards cannot be used to make split, revolving, two-time, or bonus payments.
When using your card at a physical store, please tell the cashier you are making a one-time JCB card payment. Your signature may be required for making purchases.
- You cannot use more than one card for a single payment (e.g. a prepaid card with a credit card).
- LINE Pay cards are not accepted by some merchants and services.
- You may need to enter your passcode when you use your LINE Pay card on automated check out machines. Please set a passcode for your LINE Pay card if you haven't already, or use your card at a manned cash register.
For more information, please see the following Help articles:
You will not be able to use your LINE Pay card/virtual card if:
• You haven't activated your LINE Pay card.
• You have an insufficient balance.
• You did not select to make a one-time payment.
• The merchant does not accept LINE Pay cards/virtual cards.
• The total amount exceeds your spending limit.
• You tried making an online payment with your virtual card after applying for a LINE Pay card, but before activating it.
• The LINE Pay administrator suspended your account (e.g. because someone found your lost card and reported it).
If you're still unable to resolve the issue after checking the information above, please contact us via the Inquiry Form.
You can use your LINE Pay card or virtual card at participating JCB merchants. Exceptions may apply, however, as with some utility payments and gas stations.
Also, if your registered LINE Pay account is a Cash account, you will not be able to use your card at physical store locations outside of Japan.
For more information, please see the following Help articles:
Yes, you can.
To make purchases online with a LINE Pay card, please follow the steps below.
1. Select Credit Card as your payment method. Be sure to indicate that you are making a one-time payment.
2. Enter the 16-digit card number and expiration date on the front of the card.
3. If the name of the card holder is required, please enter your name.
4. If you need to enter the CVC, please enter the 3 digit CVC on the back of the card.
LINE Money account holders
You can use your LINE Pay card to make payments at physical and online stores abroad.
LINE Cash account holders
Your LINE Pay card can only be used to make payments at online stores abroad.
- After July 25, 2018, LINE Pay cards will only be accepted at overseas online stores that are not affiliated with the EU.
- If you want to use your LINE Pay card to make payments at online stores that are affiliated with the EU, you'll need to convert to a LINE Money account.
For more details about LINE Money and LINE Cash accounts, please refer to the following Help article.
You will incur a 4% service charge when you use your LINE Pay card abroad. Also, please note that due to changes in exchange rates, the amount withdrawn from your account when the payment is confirmed may differ from when you purchased the item. If the amount is lower than when you purchased the item, the difference will be refunded to your balance; if the amount is higher than when you purchased the item, the added amount will also be withdrawn from your account.
Spending limits for each LINE Pay balance type are as follows:
Per transaction: JPY 1,000,000
No monthly limit
Per transaction: JPY 100,000
Monthly limit: JPY 100,000
To check your balance type:
1. Open LINE Pay and go to Settings.
2. It will appear to the right of Balance Type.
Related Help article:
If you notice a discrepancy between the deposit/purchase price and the amount you paid for an item, it is possible you were charged twice. In this case, the duplicate amount will automatically be returned to your LINE Pay balance after 60 days.
If you notice your balance was charged twice, please contact us from the Problem Report Form.
A card passcode may be required when using your LINE Pay card at automated machines.
To set a passcode:
1. From the LINE Pay main menu, tap Settings > LINE Pay Card > Card Passcode.
2. Enter the last three digits of the お客様番号 (customer number) on the back of your LINE Pay card and tap OK.
3. Enter a four-digit passcode, then tap OK.
To check your usage history, go to LINE Pay and tap History.
After using your card, you'll see "LINE Pay Card" under the merchant field until the payment confirmation is finalized. At that time, the name of the store where you used your LINE Pay card will appear.
- It may take up to two months for the payment confirmation to be finalized.
- Some merchant names may appear immediately after you make a purchase.
Depending on the merchant, payments may be processed at a later date instead of immediately after they are made.
When you make a payment with your LINE Pay card, the payment will be immediately withdrawn from your LINE Pay balance.
However, there are some merchants that will not immediately withdraw the balance. If you do not have a sufficient balance at the time the payment is withdrawn, you may overdraw your LINE Pay balance. In this case, please add money to bring up your account from a negative balance.
If you sign up as a member at some merchants, they will check the validity of your card by temporarily withdrawing money from your account. This amount will be refunded to your LINE Pay balance within 60 days.
Examples of merchants that do this:
Google Play, Google Checkout, etc.
Note: Other merchants in addition to the ones listed above may make temporary withdrawals from your balance.
Also, if there is a difference between the amount you are charged when you use your card and the amount finalized by the merchant, your account balance may be adjusted at a later date.
With some merchants, payments may be processed on a later date after they are made, and not at the time you used your card. (E.g. Payments for the iTunes Store, Amazon, other monthly or annual payments, etc.)
If you find a payment which you do not remember making in your payment history, please contact us via the Problem Report Form.
When a merchant confirms the validity of your LINE Pay card, you may receive a notification saying that a payment of JPY 1 failed. In this case, it is possible that your LINE Pay card cannot be used at that merchant.
Note: Depending on the merchant, the test payment may be for between JPY 1 to JPY 9.
If you wish to confirm whether or not your LINE Pay card can be used at a certain merchant, please contact us via the Problem Report Form.
Some LINE Pay merchants do not withdraw payments from your balance at the time of purchase. If you do not have sufficient funds in your balance when the payment is withdrawn, it will result in a negative balance.
Please be sure to add money to your account and bring it up to a positive balance. You will be unable to use your LINE Pay card unless you have a positive balance.
Yes, you can give a LINE Pay card as a gift.
Please note that the person receiving the LINE Pay card will have to activate it from their LINE Pay account. Once the card is activated, the recipient will be able to use it and the amount you purchased the card for will be added to their LINE Pay balance.
You will not be able to use your LINE Pay card in either of the following cases:
- Your LINE Pay card was not activated.
Note: For steps on how to activate your card, please refer to this link.
- After activating the card in question, a new one was activated on the same LINE Pay account.
If you are unable to resolve your issue after checking the above, please contact us via the Problem Report Form.
If you have already been using a LINE Pay card and purchased another one at a store, you can choose either of the following options:
- Continue using your current LINE Pay card.
- Make your current LINE Pay card invalid and change to another LINE Pay card you purchased.
Note: You can only use one LINE Pay card.
If you wish to continue using your current LINE Pay card, the amount of the other LINE Pay card you purchased will be added to the balance on your current card. If you wish to change to the other card you purchased, the balance of your current card will be carried over to the new card.