Due to Google policy and specification changes, unique theme splash screens (the screen that appears when you open the LINE app) no longer appears. Instead, LINE's default green splash screen is used.
This change is applied to themes that were sold up to March 2022 after updating to LINE version 12.5.0 or later. Additionally, the default green LINE splash screen appears for all themes sold from April 2022, regardless of which LINE version is being used.
Splash screen of a theme sold before April 2022 on a LINE version earlier than 12.5.0
Splash screen of a theme sold after March 2022, or using LINE version 12.5.0 or later
Unfortunately, there is no way to directly check your registered password.
If you forgot your password, follow the steps below to change it.
Note: Be sure to write your new password down so you don’t forget it.
1. Tap the Home tab > Settings > Account.
2. Tap Password.
Note: If you're asked to unlock the screen, use the unlock method you have configured on your device, such as your passcode, PIN code, or biometric identification (e.g. fingerprint, face). Do not use the password registered to your LINE account.
3. Enter your new password twice, then tap Change password.
If you're viewing this article on your smartphone, tap here to go to the Account screen.
If you can’t remember your password and don't have access to your old device when transferring your LINE account, see this Help article.
Registering an email address to your LINE account makes it possible for you to reset your password in the case that you forget it.
To register an email address:
1. Go to the Home tab > Settings > Account > Email address.
2. Enter an email address, then tap Next.
3. Enter the verification code or tap the URL in the email that was sent to you.
Tap here to open the Account screen from your smartphone.
If you see any of the following messages after transferring your account on a smartphone, you may not be able to view past chat messages.
- "This message can't be decrypted"
- "This message wasn't backed up and restored from your previous device. Unfortunately, there's no way to read it on your current device."
- "Unable to display message as it couldn't be decrypted."
If any of these messages appear and you cannot view your past chat messages, there is unfortunately no way to re-display them. In this case, please ask the other person in the chat to send you any old messages that you need.
The messages above appear when:
• You transfer your account to a device with the same OS (e.g. iOS to iOS) without backing up and restoring your chat messages.
Note: To view old chat messages on a new device, you need to back them up in advance and restore them.
⋅You transfer your account to a device with a different OS (e.g. iOS to Android).
Note: If you transfer your account to a device with a different OS, you cannot transfer your past chat messages.
⋅You receive chat messages while transferring your account.
Note: Any chat messages you receive while transferring your account cannot be transferred to your new device.
Related Help article:
If you change devices, you can keep using your existing LINE account by transferring it to your new device.
To transfer your LINE account, you need to meet one of the following requirements.
• Your LINE account is registered with a phone number and password.
• A Facebook account is linked to your LINE account.
Before transferring your account
If you can currently use your LINE account, make sure to refer to this Help article and prepare your account before transferring it.
Transferring your account
Once you're ready to transfer your account, you can do so using one of the following methods.
For information on backing up your account, see this Help article.
If you don't receive the verification code via text message, first check to make sure your phone number can be used for verification.
If your phone number can be verified but you're still not receiving the verification code text message, try selecting Resend code or Call me instead.
Note: For more information about the Call me instead option, see this Help article.
Selecting Call me instead on the phone number verification code input screen lets you verify your phone number by receiving an automated phone call.
To use the Call me instead option:
1. Tap Call me instead at the bottom of the verification code input screen.
2. Tap Continue.
3. After receiving the automated phone call, enter the verification code you were given.
Note: The call may be from an overseas phone number.
By registering a backup PIN beforehand, you can automatically transfer your chat history from the last 14 days when you transfer your LINE account, even if you can no longer use your old device due to loss or damage.
- To transfer your chat history in this way, you need to update LINE to version 12.13.0 or later.
- You can update the LINE app here.
To set a backup PIN:
1. From the Home tab, tap Settings > Back up and restore chat history under Backup and transfer.
2. Tap Back up now or Create backup PIN and back up chat history.
3. Enter your backup PIN.
4. Tap the arrow.
Keep a memo of the backup PIN you set so you don’t forget it, as you'll need it to restore your saved chat history when you transfer your LINE account.
To prevent your backup PIN from being used by someone else without your permission, also make sure that it is difficult to guess.
Here are some tips for setting a hard-to-guess backup PIN:
• Don't use consecutive numbers (e.g. 123456).
• Don't use the same number repetitively (e.g. 111111).
• Don't make the PIN your birthday.
To use LINE for PC, you need to register an email address on the smartphone version of LINE. See this Help article for the steps to register an email address.
After registering an email address, download LINE for PC here.
Once you've downloaded LINE for PC, try logging in using the email address and password you registered on the smartphone version of LINE.
You can only verify a phone number that can receive text messages or phone calls.
Landline phone numbers, numbers that start with 050, and virtual phone numbers cannot be used for verification, so be sure to use a phone number offered by a mobile service provider.
Note: If you verify a phone number that is already registered to another LINE account, the old account will be deleted.
For the steps to change your registered phone number on LINE to a number from a different country, see this Help article.
Unfortunately, there is no way to check the password you need to transfer your LINE account. If you don't know your password, follow the steps below to reset it:
1. On your new device, open LINE and tap Log in.
2. Enter your phone number and tap the arrow.
3. Enter the six-digit verification code that's sent to you via text message.
Note: The code may be entered automatically on some devices.
Note: The code may be entered automatically on some devices.
4. Tap Yes, that's my account.
Note: If you see Yes, transfer my account, tap it followed by Log in with previous number or Log in with email address, then enter your registered information.
5. Tap Forgot your password?
6. Enter the email address registered to your LINE account.
If you don't receive the password reset email, see here.
Note: You will not be able to reset your password if you haven't registered an email address to your LINE account.